Saturday, December 19, 2009

Comfort & Joy


I was eating a gorgeous orange the other day and reflecting on Christmas. If ever I am patient enough to go through the bother of peeling them, it is this time of year. The smell and taste of all fresh fruit has always resonated with the season for me, but especially citrus fruit. It's been a tradition in my family since I can recall, to place a ripe orange in the bottom of our stockings. The heat from the fireplace warmed it just slightly, spreading a subtle but lingering fragrance, combined with the perfume of pine and chimney smoke. It was one of my most favorite items to count on. I would cup it in my hands and hold it up to my nose for a few precious moments. Also, we used to read this children's book about a family of bears that was "scratch 'n sniff". Each page had a holiday smell: cocoa, apple pie, Christmas tree, candycane, and orange. We scratched and sniffed until it was practically gone!

Some other treasured moments: decorating the tree to Nat King Cole, Dad reading "The Polar Express" sandwiched between my sister and I on Christmas Eve, watching movies as a family, attending mass at the church we grew up in, waking up with my sister on Christmas morning, making cookies with my sister, playing in the rare Texas snow, Mom fixing breakfast in her nubby old robe...oh, so many good times.

As I have mentioned this is my first Christmas away from my family. I have plans this year that I am very excited about though. I know it was my choice and that it will not be the same, and I am admittedly saddened, but I have to remember there will be many more Christmases, God willing. After all, we are meant to keep our family and Christmas in our hearts every day, always, not just once a year. That way, we are never truly apart. So hopefully I'll be home for Christmas next year. Until then, I will patiently peel another orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment