Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I Really Did It

Where do I even begin?

I have been in New York exactly one week (well, only four and a half days actually living in the new apartment). Getting set up was pretty stressful and we about ran ourselves all over Queens. My parents were here to help me move in, thank God. Saying goodbye to them was so hard. The day I left Texas, I had bravely fought back emotions parting with my best friend and my dog, but I just couldn't anymore when my Mom and Dad had to leave. We squabble from time to time, but being with them makes me want to be a better person and make them proud.

We did get to spend our last night here together in Manhattan. Everyone has to brave the hoopla at Christmas time at least once in their lives and go see Rockefeller Center with hot cups of Dean & Deluca, and go to Macy's. It truly is magical. We even spied a couple mid-proposal. I waited and offered to take their picture! It even snowed a few flurries, too!

Since then, I have not ventured far past the nearest surrounding blocks only because I am attempting to memorize the neighborhood. Hahaha. For someone so directionally challenged, I sure do choose to live in very big cities. The good thing about New York is that, when all else fails, you can easily circle the block and go back the way you came! Tonight I am making my first attempt at a subway trip by myself. Keep your fingers crossed.

It has been very quiet thus far and I have felt a little cooped up, although I try to get out and walk around a while every day. I am not one who needs to have excitement all the time or go out every night to enjoy myself though. Though I feel isolated at the moment, I have some activities lined up for the month that I am excited about! I even bought myself a little bitty tree and hung a little strand of lights on it. This is the first Christmas away from home for me, but I will be okay I think.

I do not have a new job yet, though I did have one lead that may or may not work out. In the mean time, I am submitting resumes and applications, and trying to organize contacts. I will find something, I am sure.

Tomorrow however, I think I shall enjoy myself a little and make use of my Metro Card, perhaps re-visit the Met Museum!

1 comment:

  1. If you go the the Met tomorrow, then stop by the spa and say hi! It is right there on 83rd between 5th and Madison. :) It was great having you over tonight!! Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete